So, you have decided to remodel your house. Who should you hire for the project? Do you need to hire renovation professionals or do you only need a general contractor? Do you need to hire an interior designer or an architect?
The people you need to hire for your renovation project greatly depend on your budget and the scope. Each major remodeling project needs a general contractor to handle the construction job. However, a couple of projects require a professional architect for design and technical services.
It’s crucial to keep in mind that there can be overlapping among services. For instance, a couple of architects can also offer interior finishing services.
Don’t Hire the Cheapest Contractor
Are you tempted to hire the lowest estimate from an unlicensed contractor? If so, there’s one thing you need to keep in mind. Contractors who are not qualified might not be able to get the necessary permits for the project.
You’ll be accountable for the repairs if the project fails to follow building codes. You might also have a hard time selling your home in the future.
Who Should You Hire First?
A remodeling project has a lot of moving components. That is why a lot of homeowners ask how to address a renovation in an organized manner.
The best thing you can do is to establish a team of renovation experts based on your needs, whether it includes deciding the finishes or aesthetics or getting permits and plans.
Think About Hiring a Design-Build Company
A design-build company can be an affordable choice for large and medium-scale projects. They also work well on any project that needs high attention to detail. A design-build company can provide:
- A fluid process with more predictable timelines between construction stages and design
- A single point of contact from beginning to end
- A complete package of project management, construction, and design services
When To Hire an Interior Designer
If you aren’t planning to dramatically change the room and wall functions of your home, an interior designer can help with features such as:
- Selecting finishes, color palette, and furniture styles
- Project management and buying of appliances, fixtures, and materials
- Designing custom cabinets
- Considering overall space planning, lighting, and traffic flow
When to Hire a General Contractor
It is best to hire a general contractor if you already have an idea of what to do with your renovation project. Almost every contractor can provide some guidance on creative solutions, materials, and design for the project.
However, you need to make sure you hire a licensed contractor to guarantee your project meets the building codes of your region.
When to Hire an Architect
You will have to hire an architect if you are planning to do these things:
- Changing something that needs the approval of the Department of Buildings
- Doing work on a landmark property
- Moving gas lines
- Moving plumbing lines such as dishwasher or bathtub
- Tearing down walls, making additions, or changing the layout of your property.
If you’re planning to do these things, you need the help of an architect.